Site Network: Home | A New Hope | Seattle Ingest |

I love it when NPR backs me up when I'm totally not expecting it. I commented a while back about how irritating it is (and just plain immoral) that politicians are obsessed with talking about lowering gas prices rather than raising them. Thank you, Len Burman, for helping me feel like I'm not crazy.


"So why the empty rhetoric? Because we'll need much higher gas prices, not price cuts, to fend off the enormous threat of global warming. And no politician -- not even an infamous maverick -- wants to talk about that during an election campaign."

I'm not sure why John McCain is an "infamous maverick," but Len certainly is correct that nobody except for possibly the Green Party wants to talk about higher gas prices during an election year.

1 comments:

At April 26, 2008 at 7:38 AM ONNO said...

I've heard this debate before, so you aren't the only one. While higher gas prices can reduce our impact on the earth, by encouraging us to stop using our cars, having more pedestrian friendly cities like Vancouver would also help. Making sure there is access to bike paths and walking paths is a huge incentive for getting rid of cars. As well, having a free public transportation system, or just an efficient one, like NY also helps.

Dagny McKinley
www.onnotextiles.com
organic apparel

 

Post a Comment